Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christopher Muther, "Downward facing dude," Boston Globe, 11/10/11, (http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2011/11/10/how_two_broga_enthusiasts_hope_to_make_yoga_more_accessible_for_men/?page=2)

 Downward facing dude

This article got my attention at first because of it's funny-looking title. But, the more I read, the more intrigued I was. The writer talks about a pair of men, Adam O'Neill and Robert Sidoti, who have started yoga classes called "Broga." This name is the combination of "bro" and "yoga." Their main goal in starting these programs is to allow men to feel comfortable while doing their yoga versus being intimidated by doing a class with a bunch of women. In the article, Muther writes, "This is a slightly more aggressive and physical incarnation of yoga; Sanskrit terms are avoided as much as possible, and poses are carefully explained." I find this very interesting because, we as a class, know that yoga is not just something people originally did for exercise. I think this article is a good example of just how far Western views reinterpret aspects from all over the world.

3 comments:

  1. This article is super funny! I also thought it was interesting that the class is going to be "more aggressive and physical"....because that's not exactly what I think of when I think of yoga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very true that the western "yoga world" is almost completely dominated by women, and it is great that this program is opening the practice up to men, because there are obvious physical benefits for either sex. This type of program is also very representative of the western view of yoga, which portrays it as an exercise routine. The mental benefits are more or less disregarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title is very funny and I find it kind of catchy. Its interesting to see that these two men were promoting Broga as a social norm, whereas many would think otherwise. Its out of the box thinking and I like that the idea. I think that this would men would feel comfortable doing Yoga.

    ReplyDelete